RE: [OM] [OT}Latin endings, was fireworks fora

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT}Latin endings, was fireworks fora
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 05:48:35 +0100
I think that you might have hit the nail on the head Winsor.  It is a
sort of snobbery of language where Latinate endings are concerned,
whereas the teaching of our own language, imported and Latinate words
included, is so poor in the English-speaking countries that fewer and
fewer are equipped to argue about meanings or spellings.

John's point about English's origins is useful, but we should still
teach children our language, grammar, syntax and vocabulary, so that
they have the basic tools for use in communication - written or
spoken.  At present we have evolution of the language because of
ignorance of a word's spelling or meaning; convenience rather than
elegance is the watchword.

But basic meanings are being lost through misuse.  On the front of
Flight International for a couple of weeks ago, I notice a headline:
"Latin America's success stories - why two airlines are weathering
reagion's economic storms."  We know "why" the airlines are doing it
as presumably they wish to continue in business, the word should be
"how".

Chris