Re: [OM] Zuiko 21/3.5 test images

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 21/3.5 test images
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 22:43:53 +0800
Okay everybody, here below is my quick observation on the viewfinder with my
OM4 (the OM1/2's finder is a little poorer in edge resolution) and Zuiko
lenses wide open.

21/3.5 at closest focusing distance of 0.2m, mag. around 1:6, it gave very
poor edge resolution, could be similar to the Map result Jochen  posted. At
1:15 it is still not good but improved a lot, I bet it would be fine at 1:40
as Gary's result was not bad at F5.6 ("B" grade).

At the same time, I have also tried 21/2, 24/2, 28/2, 35/2 and 35/2.8. At
closest focusing distance, the best performer being the 21/2 and the second
are 24/2 and 28/2 the third is 35/2.8 and at last is the 35/2 (which does
not lag much behind). Even the 35/2 was poorest among them, it is still much
much better than the 21/3.5. The 21/2 has outstanding edge resolution but
with extremely high barrel distortion.

It is a bit disappointed for the poor performance of 21/3.5 (as it is very
expensive) but I think there is very little chance that you need a flat
field wide angle for close up work as in the real life most objects are 3-D.
I hope there will be some other quality that the 21/3.5 is better than the
21/2. (Actually, I always think the 21/2 was not so hot on the color dept.)

C.H.Ling