RE: [OM] ( OM ) Evaluating colour in digital images

Subject: RE: [OM] ( OM ) Evaluating colour in digital images
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:15:11 -0800
I've worked in the desktop publishing business, and I've shot photos for
publication. I've also shot and edited many, many photos for my own
purposes. I've used Ott lights, "daylight fluorescents" and any number of
"color correcting" lights and tools to try and "improve color fidelity". I
like Ott lights, but mostly because I find they make it easier for me to see
clearly than many others.

There's probably a 99 percent chance that those *viewing* the results of
your efforts will be viewing in a far different mix of light than what was
used to create the photo. So what they're gonna see isn't what you intended
them to see in the first place, no matter *how* accurate you attempted to
be.

I'm with Moose. Unless you absolutely need to faithfully match a product for
a paying client in a situation like a print or online catalog or
advertisement where that client believes it's critical and insists on it...
who cares? It's not like anyone viewing our work is going to be making
scientific measurements from it (in most cases, anyway) where the final
color fidelity is important.

I'd much rather try and make better photographs (as far as composition and
the like are concerned) knowing that when printing if I'm at least *close*
to what I had as my vision at the time I took it, perhaps others are gonna
like it too.

---
Scott Gomez