Re: [OM] ( OM ) Evaluating colour in digital images

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Evaluating colour in digital images
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:28:09 -0700
on 6/16/02 3:53 PM, Brian Swale at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Another source of error arises in the colour temperature of the light I use
> when comparing the print with the on-screen image. Unless I have access to
> good daylight from a window to the side, I have only an incandescent bulb
> which emits light that is obviously yellow.
>
> All of these things make it difficult to adjust the light level, the contrast
> and
> the colours on the digital image so that it represents the reality at the time
> of
> exposure.
>
> What do you use for a white-light source?
>
> Brian

I bought a cheap desktop lamp, that uses the 13-watt plug-in fluorescent
bulbs... then I bought an "OTT-Light" bulb. The OTT-Light is a special
fluorescent bulb designed to mimic daylight, for special tasks. The bulbs
are available separately, if you already have the fixture, or you can buy
complete lamps. My mother bought one for sewing, as the light seems to bring
out the detail in the surface. This light is noticably bluer than a normal
fluorescent and much more so than a tungsten (conventional) bulb. I think it
will be good for evaluating prints. You can read their marketing web page
and get their info at:

http://www.ott-lite.com/

I have no idea if all they claim is true, but I bought the lamp for $4.99 at
a thrift store and the bulb was $9.50 or so, its cheap enough to experiment.
--

Jim Brokaw