Re: [OM] ( OM ) Evaluating colour in digital images

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Evaluating colour in digital images
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:58:59 +0800

dreammoose wrote:

> People who shoot slides (as I mostly did for years), tend to use the
> slide as reference to what the scene really looked like when printing
> them. However, both experience, reading al the discussions here and
> elsewhere about the color, saturation, contrast, etc., etc.
> characteristics and reading photo magizine film tests with the color
> reproductions of standard targets shot with different films make it
> clear that  this is not really a reliable standard either. The truth is
> that there is no way on earth to know just what that scene looked like
> when the picture was taken. There is no reference color capturing system
> which is perfect.

Yes, there is no perfect color reproduction system on earth, but it
didn't mean we have to give up on making it more close to the original
(if needed).

> Remember Ansel Adams and many other famous photographers manipulated
> their images extensively to get the picture the saw in their heads,
> rather than the imperfect image the science of photography produced
> unaided by human artistry and imagination. My rule that I commend to you
> is make it look real and/or make it look good, in whatever combination
> suits you. In the last 4 shots  on
<snip>

Photographic art is another issue, you may even intentionally to make
the color "wrong". BTW Ansel shot mainly B/W, there is no color
accuracy :-)

C.H.Ling