Re: [OM] ( OM ) Evaluating colour in digital images

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Evaluating colour in digital images
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:37:00 +1000

> Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi folk,
>
> I wonder if any of you have faced and dealt with this problem.
>
> When I scan images, they are always from prints, on a flat-bed
> scanner.
>
> So I have no idea if the print-maker has the colour right. The
> scanning
> software and the post-scanning imaging software then throw a few
> wobblies
> into the image-making process. Not least of these is during the
> conversion
> from whatever patented format the program uses, to jpeg.
>
> Another source of error arises in the colour temperature of the light
> I use
> when comparing the print with the on-screen image. Unless I have
> access to
> good daylight from a window to the side, I have only an incandescent
> bulb
> which emits light that is obviously yellow.
>
> All of these things make it difficult to adjust the light level, the
> contrast and
> the colours on the digital image so that it represents the reality at
> the time of
> exposure.
>
> What do you use for a white-light source?

I don't have a standard white light source.  I have given up on "accuracy",
just try
for something that is "pleasing".  You could go mad trying to get an accurate
rendition on your monitor, then find that it looks different on everyone else's
monitor, as every link in the chain potentially can "distort" the colour.

Wayne Harridge

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~w_harridge