RE: [OM] long telephoto advice

Subject: RE: [OM] long telephoto advice
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 07:24:12 -0700
Thanks for your comments about the Makinon, Jim. I've been considering a
short CAT but the recent auctions for both the Tamron SP and Makinon
went quite a bit higher than I was willing to go. It sounds like the
Tamron would be a better bet.

I've got a Zuiko 500mm f8, Vivitar Series1 600mm f8, a Vivitar Series 1
800mm f11, and a Celestron C90. I haven't used either the 600mm or the
C90 enough to have an opinion about them. I'm very happy with both the
Zuiko and the 800mm. I have not noticed any vignetting with either but
pictures of shore birds with a background of plants isn't the best way
to judge that. For having a long tele handy they can't be beat. But at
800mm even f11 doesn't have much depth of field

Several list members who don't post very often sent me some off list
comments about the Tamron 400mm f4 over the last year. Thanks Mike,
John, and ?. The Tamron is a great lens. It is small enough (about 12"
long and about 5 lbs) that it can be carried along with other gear, when
I know I need a long tele. The CAT lens can be carried just in case even
if I'm not aware of any opportunities. The Tamron takes great pictures
and is very quick to focus. If I could have only a single long tele it
would probably be the Tamron 400mm f4.

-jeff