Re: [OM] long telephoto advice

Subject: Re: [OM] long telephoto advice
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:56:40 -0700
On June 11, 2002, Mike Cormier writes:

<< I'd like something in the 500mm range for wildlife shooting, and since
the only lens in that range is the zuiko mirror lens, I've been thinking
about it a bit.  Has anyone got experience with it?  Would I be just as good
off with the Tamron, Tokina, or vivtar versions of this lens? >>

Long lens junkie that I am, I'll weigh in here.

I would suggest trying to stretch for a Tamron SP 300/2.8. Great resale
value because of the adaptall mount. The best version, as I understand it,
is the green version which also happens to be the most commonly available.
When I was watching "the bay" closely these were readily available--often
going for very attractive prices. Worry about just getting the lens to start
with. The Flat Field SP 1.4X converters typically are included. The 2X
Converters are not always there, and I would suggest looking for the more
elusive Flat Field variety of the 2X. I have seen Tamron SP converters go
for insanely low prices so don't let lack of a converter sway you. The
Tamron SP 400/4 is equally exceptional, but harder to come by and IMO not as
versatile, but perhaps a slightly better lens than the 300/2.8 with 1.4X
(which is a 420/4) converter.

Also worthy of consideration are the Tokina AT-X 150-500 and Tamron SP
200-500 zooms, I suppose. But they are getting close to bargain Tamron
300/2.8 territory and are slower. The Tamron SP 300/2.8 is/was a very
popular MF sports shooter's lens so they are easy to find on the used
market.

Another option would be the Tamron SP 80-200 f2.8 with the SP 2X Flat Field
converter. That makes a reasonably sharp 160-400 f5.6, and you get one of
the best fast medium range zooms available for an OM in the deal as well.

Whatever you do, don't even so much as look at, let alone try out, a Zuiko
250/2 or 350/2.8.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com