Re: [OM] long telephoto advice

Subject: Re: [OM] long telephoto advice
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 20:53:43 -0700
on 6/11/02 11:19 AM, Mike Cormier at ronaldcormier@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm starting to look at picking up a long telephoto lens to add to the kit.
> Right now the best I can offer up is a 200/4 zuiko.

Despite recent thread comments, a decent lens...

> I'd like something in the 500mm range for wildlife shooting, and since the
> only lens in that range is the zuiko mirror lens, I've been thinking about
> it a bit.  Has anyone got experience with it?

A bit. Similar to other mirror lenses, although  much better construction
that most of the aftermarket mirror lenses.

>Would I be just as good off with the Tamron, Tokina, or vivtar versions of this
lens?

Probably little noticable difference in the images. How much would you use
this? Perhaps a 2X-A teleconverter on the 200/4.0 would be a better place to
go first, its f8 either way, but the 2X-A can be used on other lenses also.

> Or am I WAY off base & should I be instead thinking of putting a 2XTC on a
> new 300/4.5?

You can probably almost get a 2X-A and a 300/4.5 for the cost of the Zuiko
500/8 mirror... recent mirror Zuiko sales I can recall are about $400, for a
bit more you could get a decent 300/4.5 and probably a 2X-A converter... The
300 can be handheld with care (at 300), and offers considerably faster
aperture for that magnification. The 500 mirror is strictly tripod, maybe
monopod if you shoot at 1/1000 or 1/2000, but remember it's f8 all the
time... you lose some versatility in bright light with faster film unless
you either dismount the lens to add a ND filter or spring for really big
filters...

> All this is, of course, assuming I'm not going to shell out for the
> 250/2&2XA combo or the 350/2.8&1.4XA combo... both of which are a little out
> of the dollar range I'm imagining...

Of course, a truly stuck Zuikoholic would have all the above... some of that
is out of my budget right now, too!
--

Jim Brokaw