Re: [OM] long telephoto advice

Subject: Re: [OM] long telephoto advice
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:03:24 -0700
I've never used a Zuiko 500/8, but I have other mirror lenses. They are amazingly light for their focal length and speed, but there are tradeoffs. -Since they do not have adjustable diaphrams, you have no control over DOF and it can often be too shallow for the subject matter.

-Although too fast for good DOF, they are slow for viewing and focusing. You may find you need a different focusing screen. The split image and microprism areas of regular screens don't work at 500/8, so you have to focus on the matte area of regular screens and that is difficult due to a dim image in anything other than bright sunlight. A 2-Series or Beattie screen helps a lot. The eSIF recommends the 1-4, 1-8 & 1-10 all-matte screens. I assume it doesn't mention the 2-Series because this part it was written before they came on the scene. I don't know why they don't recommend the 1-7, which is specifically for super-teles. In any case, both the 1-7 and the all-matte Beattie work with my 1000/11.

-Out of focus highlights are donut (or halo?) shaped, which many people dislike.

There is some test info on mirror lenses here <http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mp-cat-tests.txt> .

Moose

Mike Cormier wrote:

I'd like something in the 500mm range for wildlife shooting, and since the only lens in that range is the zuiko mirror lens, I've been thinking about it a bit. Has anyone got experience with it? Would I be just as good off with the Tamron, Tokina, or vivtar versions of this lens?