Re: [OM] long telephoto advice

Subject: Re: [OM] long telephoto advice
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:19:57 -0700
In <3D0612F3.15432.3F3583C@localhost>, on 06/11/02 at 03:10 PM,
   Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx said:

I think that would be better. Mirror lenses lose almost a stop of light
 from the central 2nd mirror, so that f/8 becomes an f/11, slower than
a  300/9.

Are you sure that this is true of the Zuiko?

les clark / edgewater, nj / usa

I think that might be an exaggeration. To drop the light by 1 stop you would have to obstruct half the area of the lens opening. That would require a secondary mirror of about 52mm which is much larger than the one on the Zuiko which appears to be about 35mm.

In addition the Zuiko rather stands out from the usual mirror lens with an evenly lit field, good correction, and good contrast.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?