Re: [OM] Zuiko 200/4 and 50mm MTF

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 200/4 and 50mm MTF
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:02:08 -0700
There are so many possible variables here. You are assuming that both exposures would have been the same on film.

That big a difference is not simply the number of elements. Even assuming single coating and 15 elements in the zoom, that's 20 more reflecting surfaces @ 0.5% = 5 0ght loss over the 135/2.8 or about 1/10 stop.

You are relying on four little pins (2 each) to convey info from the lenses to the camera so it can calculate how much light will be coming through when they are stopped down for exposure. Those on the 135 are probably slightly imperfect due to manufacturing variance and use and wear. Those on the Kiron may well be even further off if Kiron didn't exactly reproduce the Zuiko relationship between aperture and pin location. If they happen to be off in opposite directions in these 2 particular lenses, they could show quite a large difference. Notice however, that all this has only an inexact relationship to the actual light transmitted when the lenses are stopped down during exposure!

A further factor could be in lens design. I assume little corners cut here and there in internal element sizes, etc. could make for considerable weight, size and cost differences without affecting the primary media lens test criteria of sharpness and contrast very much.

We tend to treat the marked and published numbers as gospel where, in fact, they are all subject to ranges of variation.

If you are really concerned, the useful real world test is to take a set of comparison images across the f-stop range on the same roll of transparency film using manual mode. That will tell you all you need to know about the true speed differences between these lenses. In auto mode, all this mechanical stuff has no impact on correct TTL exposure anyway.

Moose

Wayne Culberson wrote:

I bought a Kiron 80-200/4.5 recently from G. Reese, ....
I was shooting with it yesteday, and noticed it reads about 1 to 2 stops
slower than the Zuiko 135/2.8, when both set 135mm at f/16 and pointed to
the same scene (using OM2s in auto mode).
Do all zooms do this, or just the ones I own?