RE: [OM] long telephoto advice

Subject: RE: [OM] long telephoto advice
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:15:11 -0600
> I'd like something in the 500mm range for wildlife shooting, and since the

> only lens in that range is the zuiko mirror lens, I've been thinking about

> it a bit.  Has anyone got experience with it?  Would I be just as good off

> with the Tamron, Tokina, or vivtar versions of this lens?

 The new Vivitar lens that floats around on e*ay new these days is the same
as the other cheap mirror lenses, and from the research I did on this a
while ago, is not worth even the little cost it has.

 I've got the Tamron SP 500/8 mirror, and, as long as you're happy with it
being a mirror lens (ie weird bokeh, etc) then it's just fine. These float
by fairly often; I paid $120 for mine, which was a pretty good deal for just
the lens+hood; the full kit should also contain an appropriate case,
internal filters, and tripod mount.

 -- dan