Re: [OM] long telephoto advice

Subject: Re: [OM] long telephoto advice
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:52:07 -0700
I guess it depends partly on the lens. Maybe it has to do with the the 'obstruction ratio' you mentioned. The Tamron 500/8 is 78mm aperture with 35mm obstruction = 45%(240f area) while the Meade is 84/29mm = 35%(120f area).

I was recently using my Meade 1000/11 with the all-matte Beattie and tried substuiting the 1-7 screen. The microprism was not darkened. Neither one was really easy to focus - no depth of field to speak of, but neither was obviously easier to focus than the other. I was wokring in good light, but I'm sure the 1-7 would be better in dim light, at least you could see the subject. Neither the Beattie or the 2-13 is very bright at f11.

Moose

Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas wrote:

The 1-7 works OK with a small, _unobstructed_ aperture, like that on the
1000/11. The central obstruction in a mirror lens will darken the
microprisms, despite the larger aperture. However, the all-matte Beattie
(or the 2-4 screen) should be fine.