[OM] Zuiko 200/4 and 50mm MTF

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 200/4 and 50mm MTF
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 20:42:20 -0700 (PDT)
Chris Barrett said, in part,
>>Gary Reese's test have shown that some lens body
combinations have undesirable vibration
effects which can affect test results. If Practical
Photography used a proper MTF test bench then this
would not be a problem.

I would admit that it is not as easy to get sharp
results as I can with
my 100 2.8.>>>

Now me, Lama:
Agreed, you can't handhold it and get a superb image.
And in a cruel taunt, there's no tripod mount.  It
doesn't matter to me what the mtf would look like on a
bench.  I can't capture an image that way.

Now that I've SOLD my mint Zuiko 200/4 with the
correct, mint hard case,
I can tell my tale.  I snapped up a Kiron 80-200 /f4
on e*ay for......

(wait for it....)

$15.  No, it doesn't have a tripod either.  No, I'm
not the least bit concerned about its 1/2 mm, shallow
blemish because it's on the front element.
I learned that here. (Tom Scales? John Lind?  Thanks!)

I'm saving for the RIGHT TOOL for concert photos- the
big ass Tamron 80-200 f/2.8 or the Tokina-
and until I can get that, one so-so 200/4 without a
tripod mount is as good as another, eh?  :)
Did I mention that the Kiron accepts my 55 mm filters?
 heh heh

Oh, yeah, the Kiron close-focusses as a bonus,
something the Zuiko never will.  In a luscious
bit of irony, the first time I used the Kiron's close
focus was shooting the Zuiko for its e*ay
ad.  heh heh

The net profit more than paid for the used Bogen 3020
legs and spiffy but used 3047 head.
Now THIS is a tripod!  When the big glass arrives,
I'll be ready!

A happy zuikoholic with (what I consider) a smarter
toolkit,
Lamadoo

ps, that 100mm/2.8 Zuiko will never leave me.  It may
be modestly priced but it's sweet.  This one, like the

equally modest 135/3.5 is sharp enough to focus easily
and gives me sharp pictures even wide open.  Something
the 200/4 never did for me.  Your mileage may vary.