Re: [OM] 300mm cost (now)

Subject: Re: [OM] 300mm cost (now)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:27:28 -0800
Hi folks,

Instead of debating if Kierstin should purchase a Vivitar 300mm or a Olympus 300mm I think it'd be more appropriate to ask if this is the right focal length for her to purchase at this time. I've owned an Oly 300mm since the seventies and I bet I haven't shot a roll of film with it during that time. It's too big to conveniently carry around, it should be mounted on a tripod a lot of the time for best results, and I just don't have that many occasions where I find a need for that length. Mine stays in the closet most of the time.

So, what say you? Is a 300mm a reasonable choice for a second lens for a beginner?

Later,
Johnny

I kind of agree, but my brother's second lens was a Vivitar 400 and he was incredibly happy with it. He loved the flattened perspective, the big suns, and the idea of secretly probing into far away places and not being noticed. To each his own.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?