[OM] B&W film recommendations

Subject: [OM] B&W film recommendations
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:25:54 -0800 (PST)
> 1/24/02 12:01:49 AM, "Olympus" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >I just tried some Ilford 400.  It was not bad... UNTIL I scanned it!  Very
> >grainy..  Maybe 2x as grainy as the Fuji Superia that I'm use to..  So..
> >I'm looking for recommendations of B&W.

Be sure the problem isn't that you don't like the grain of b/w film
generally. Color film has no grain at all in the sense of the silver
particles of b/w film; color film has dye clouds which are blurrier and to
some eyes/applications smoother/"less grainy". If you want sharp, go with a
b/w film. If you like smooth and less sharp (portraits?) go with one of the C-41
process b/w films. Supposedly, the Kodak offering is better for printing
on color paper and the Ilford better for printing on b/w paper.
If you want sharp fine grain, then Delta 100 or TMax100 are probably the
surest choices, but all the modern films are pretty nice IMO.

This may be my last post, I can't follow the volume and OT of the list anymore.

=====
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page: