Re: [OM] B&W film recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W film recommendations
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:00:44 +1100
>When it comes to scanning, the C41 based films are better than
>traditional B&W films.  However, in the darkroom, I much prefer
>working with the real stuff.  I've shot a lot of T400CN and it
>does scan VERY WELL!  Photoshop is the only way to work with
>this film.  Under the enlarger, you will be pulling all of your
>hair out trying to get the contrast and tonalities to work.
>
>AG-Gelatin/Schnozz

Seems little point to using it then - as it shares the tonal, contrast and
grain characteristics of good colour film, you might as well shoot colour
film and use a good desaturation routine in Photoshop for those shots that
suit a B&W finish - same effect? So far, I've been happy with results
desaturating Reala in channels, for instance.
AndrewF