Re: [OM] B&W film recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W film recommendations
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:25:46 -0800 (PST)
I've been shooting tons of TMAX-100 lately and do like the film
a lot.  It is much more sensitive to proper development though.

I've been hearing a lot about Delta-100.  Might give it a try.
I actually prefer the grain-structure of traditional grain film
over the T-grains of Tmax.  The emulsion is also a bit "thin"
which requires a harder paper grade.

Ilford Pan-F is awesome stuff, but ISO 50.  In medium format,
the Pan-F is capable of unbelievable enlargement.  Next to
impossible to use a "grain-magnifier" with for focusing under
the enlarger.

The old ISO 125 standbys are terrific films in that the tonal
gradients can't be beat.  But the grain is kinda in-your-face.
Very rich emulsions, though.  You can go a couple grades softer
on the paper.

In ISO 400, I shoot either Ilford HP-5 or Kodak Tri-X.  I'd give
an ever-so-slight nod towards the Tri-X, but I get the HP-5 as a
"bonus" with Ilford B&W paper.

I haven't got any film in bulk yet, but I was leaning towards
TMAX-100.  Still might, but the thoughts of Tri-X/HP-5 for high
speed and Pan-F for the grainless stuff is enticing.

When it comes to scanning, the C41 based films are better than
traditional B&W films.  However, in the darkroom, I much prefer
working with the real stuff.  I've shot a lot of T400CN and it
does scan VERY WELL!  Photoshop is the only way to work with
this film.  Under the enlarger, you will be pulling all of your
hair out trying to get the contrast and tonalities to work.

AG-Gelatin/Schnozz