[OM] Elimination of HTML from postings

Subject: [OM] Elimination of HTML from postings
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:05:07 -0500
At 10:09 PM +0000 1/24/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:56:51 -0000
>From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] digest decends into chaos (quite long...)
>
>[snip]
>
>1) HTML - as Sam said, some who post from work have no option to send in
>plain text. This is a bugger, but a bearable bugger nevertheless. We are a
>community, and should have some respect for the various set-ups we all
>endure/enjoy (delete as applicable ;-)). The digest lets us see all that
>nasty HTML either in the post, or as a second version of the post
>immediately following the plain version (for some odd reason I don't
>understand - no, don't explain it to me...)

It isn't often true that one cannot turn HTML off, but it's often made quite
difficult, especially in Microsoft products.   My experience is with Microsoft
Exchange and Outlook at a government installation.  MS Mail and HTML to big
email reflectors works very badly, because many email clients do not handle
these well, especially back a few years, and one lost more than half of one's
audience.

Anyway, the general apprach is to create a nickname for the intended recipient,
and dig deep in the settings for that nickname to say text only.  This allows
one to use HTML where appropriate, and use text where appropriate as well.

Here are my notes from 1998:  To ensure that attachments are readable, please
put the intended nicknamename in your "Personal Address Book", select my name,
click on "Properties", then on "Send Options", then on the "Internet" tab,
check the "I want to specify the format ..." box, and select the "Plain
Text/UUencode" button.  This selection will prevent Microsoft Exchange from
using Microsoft Mail encoding for attachment, which would render the attachment
unreadable.

The big issue then was attachments being coded in MS Mail format, understood by
few, but this procedure also gets one access to the controls to turn HTML off,
if memory serves.  As I recall, it took the System Manager and I a number of
hours to find this path.

The Eudora client allows one to turn HTML off globally  (unlike
Exchange/Outlook).   The control radio button is in the "Styled Text" setting,
available in the "Special" menu.  Eudora 4.2.2 does not allow one the control
HTML et al by the individual nickname, though.  Later versions may support this.

Joe Gwinn