Re: [OM] B&W film recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W film recommendations
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:42:53 -0500
Cc: JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
OK, now I've got THREE comments in this thread.  Sorry for the overload.

I like B&W, even scanned. Converted color film doesn't easily come out the same as B&W film. There's a whole world of opinion and techniques for converting from color to greyscale to mimic different B&W films, so I won't go there. But the look of good B&W is different than converted color in many cases. YMMV of course.

OK, now that I've gotten THAT out of my system, I use the new Delta 400 Professional, which is very nice. I actually had a terrible time getting the Tmax films to develop properly with Xtol, so I switched to the Delta line. Delta 100 has actually been rated as the finest grained B&W film available today except for Tech Pan. (Not my rating, but I think Erwin Puts' from the Netherlands)

The bottom line is that in 100 and 400, there are superb choices from Kodak, Ilford, Fuji, and Agfa. Choose a couple in each speed and shoot/develop them and take what you like. I chose the Delta films (100, 400, 3200) because they developed well in my setup, they scan well, they're fine-grained, and they offer good latitude and tonality. What more could I want?

SKip