Re: [OM] B&W film recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W film recommendations
From: "P. Linford" <pwl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:26:17 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: "P. Linford" <pwl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Dear OM'ers

I've been following this thread with interest, my 2 pence worth below -
this is what I use and I freely admit that my mistakes are all my own.

Slow films :
Ilford PanF developed in Perceptol - really fine and detailed, amazing
film

Ilford Delta 100 developed in Ilford DD-X - very smooth tonal range and
very fine grain. Perhaps a bit too exact for some subjects?

I have just tried the new Fuji Neopan Acros 100 (only available here
in 120 rolls at the moment, but USA folks should be able to get it in
35mm). Seems the speed is more like 64 or 50 if developed in Perceptol,
but grain? What grain?

Medium speed
HP5+ at 400 ASA developed in Ilford DD-X or Microphen - some grain but
sparkley prints are possible. I rarely push this film.

Delta 400 at 400 developed in Ilford DD-X - pretty much like Delta 100,
very smooth tonal range, but not exciting (if that is the right word).
Scans well.

Fuji Neopan developed in Microphen - I just like the texture of the
resulting enlargements obtained from this combination.

Kodak Tri-X; I know its reputation, but I have never been able to make
this film work for me.

Kodak Porta 400 B&W. I've only used a few rolls of this C-41 process film,
but I'm very impressed with the results returned - I sent it to the same
lab I use for colour negative work, a UK based pro-am outfit. This film
scans nicely too.

Faster

Kodak Tmax-X 400. I don't use this much at 400 (though it is okay here)
but really good at 800. Develop in TMAX developer AND the TMAX fixer. Very
fine grain for the speed.

Fuji Neopan pushed to 800, developed in Microphen. Quite grainy but I just
like the effect

Delta 3200 - truely wonderful film, try it, try it. Develop in Microphen
(1+0) or DD-X. If you want to use a film at 1600, try pulling this one
rather than pushing one of the 400s.

Tmax-3200; I have never been able to get good results with this film.

That's what works for me - I also use 120 roll film, and again the choices
are Delta 100, Fuji Neopan, Tmax and now the new Fuji Acros, if I can get
any more.

Perhaps of interest to UK list members; www.7dayshop.com sells film at
very good prices, but at the moment you can get 2 rolls of HP5 and one
roll of Delta 3200 for 3.95 uk pounds. Great buy. They also have
some Fuji Neopan in 120 rolls which are a couple of months out of date for
4.99 uk pounds for a box of 5. I've used a couple of boxes now, the film
seems absolutely fine.

I have no connection with this company, other than the fact that their
name appears way too often on my visa statement!

I'd be very interested in others users comments on my combinations
compared to what they use.

cheers

Paul

** happy taking B&W with an OM-1n, OM2-Sp and OM4-Ti **

|| Dr. P.W. Linford                ||                              ||
|| School of Information System    ||  Tel    : (0)+1603 592878    ||
|| University of East Anglia       ||  Fax    : (0)+1603 593345    ||
|| Norwich                         ||  mobile : 0410 295697        ||
|| Norfolk                         ||  email: pwl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    ||
|| NR4 7TJ                         ||                              ||