Re: [OM] Opinions on the utility of monopods?

Subject: Re: [OM] Opinions on the utility of monopods?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:28:19 -0800
I have one of those high-tech walking sticks with a ball on top that unscrews to reveal a 1/4"-20 bolt that spins into a tripod socket. Sort of a double duty item for hikers. It is too short for looking straight into the viewfinder. That's where Oly's clever tripod/monopod weight saver and vibration reducer comes in.

The Varimagni has other uses, but the one I like best is reducing tripod requirements. The Varimagni reduces the tripod height I need by about 18" without requiring squatting or kneeling. The whole height, weight, stability equation changes for the better. I also think it's easier to use my hands to provide a 'wetware' vibration damper in that relationship to my body than up at eye level.

Moose

Curtis P. Hedman wrote:

Here's another question for the group - what is the utility of a monopod? I have been thinking about buying one recently, but a friend has suggested that they really don't help much. His theory is that, at best, a monopod can take away vertical motion, but that it doesn't do a whole lot for angular motion since the camera/lens is free to move in the pitch plane. While I suppose that is true, it seems to me that having one solid axis has got to help hold the lens steady. I could always carry a tripod, but I'm a little too lazy (or spontaneous) for that! I find the new Adorama monopod (written up in Pop Photo) pretty attractive, but could just as well spend the $$$ on something Zuiko if the utility were low. So what are people's experiences? I like shooting at focal lengths in the 100 -250mm range, and would like to extend to even longer length telephotos as resources allow.

As always, any input will be appreciated!