Re: [OM] Opinions on the utility of monopods?

Subject: Re: [OM] Opinions on the utility of monopods?
From: "John Wheeler" <wheelej@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:00:33 +1100
I bought a Manfrotto monopod last October in Sydney (AU$109) prior to a
holiday in the US. We went to a baseball game in San Francisco the day we
arrived and I used it with my OM-2 and a Zuiko 100-200/f5 zoom. The monopod
came with a 'FlexHead' which is a flexible rubber mount between the camera
and 'pod which I found useful as it enables one to keep the camera level
even if the monopod isn't perpendicular to the ground. I was shooting with
Fuji 800ASA negative film. We were high up in the stands so had the lens at
maximum focal length. This lens is quite long and somewhat unwieldy and I
found the monopod kept the camera much steadier than I could have without it
(except at the more exciting moments when of course everybody in front stood
up thus rendering the bloody thing useless! <g>).

Regards,
John Wheeler.