RE: [OM] Opinions on the utility of monopods?

Subject: RE: [OM] Opinions on the utility of monopods?
From: gannet@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:24:27 -0500
> Here's another question for the group - what is the utility of a
> monopod?

Well, it's not a tripod, but within its limitations I find a monopod very
useful.  Certainly a monopod on the camera is a -heck- of a lot steadier
than the tripod that stays in the car. :)

I have a big Gitzo 320 tripod.  Steady as all get out.  Heavy as all get out
too.  Plus the time it takes to set it up and take it down.  Upshot is, I
don't get the tripod out unless I -need- it.  Certainly I don't just sling
the tripod over my shoulder when I'm going walkabout.  Others are more
virtuous than I am. :)

I also have a Manfrotto 3021 monopod (I think that's the number).  It's
light, it's reasonably compact, it sets up and collapses very quickly.  It
even makes a pretty good walking stick.  Upshot?  It gets used about 4 times
more than the tripod.

In practice, a monopod is worth about 2, maybe 3 stops.  If 2-3 stops will
make the difference on a particular shot, then it's well worth using.  You
can't expect much more than that.

Look at it this way: it's a heck of a lot cheaper than an IS lens. :)

Gannet
St. Petersburg, Florida USA
gannet@xxxxxxxx