RE: [OM] Digital camera downfalls

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital camera downfalls
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 18:47:19 -0500
Well, there's no truer statement possible than that I don't understand
the various nuclear particles and radiation in general.  That's why I
asked a question instead of making a statement.  Sorry if I implied that
I was concerned about the generation of alpha particles from xrays.  I
didn't intend that, only passed along my specific knowledge of alpha
particle effects on DRAMs... although alpha is weak it is possible (but
not likely) that it can change the state of a memory cell.

Now, having said all that it still seems to me that if I throw enough
high-velocity electrons at some material then eventually some of them
are not just going to pass thru.  If that were not the case then I would
guess none of us would ever have to worry about exposure to xrays.  I
think the question is one of probability and not of possibility.
And is there another question of the magnetic and electric fields
generated by the xray device?

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA
------------------------------
David said:
Chuck,
I think you misunderstand the various nuclear particles and radiation in
general.  X-rays are energy beams of very short wavelengths (0.1 to 1000
angstroms) produced by high-velocity electrons that encroach on various
materials,
particularly heavy metals. They are commonly created by passing a
current of high voltage through a Coolidge tube, they can penetrate most
substances.  They are very different to alpha particles which are
basically the nucleus
of helium atom of mass number four, consisting of two protons and two
neutrons and therefore having double positive charge and relatively
little penetrating power; they are NOT used in X-ray machines!