[OM] Analog photography and Kodachrome

Subject: [OM] Analog photography and Kodachrome
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 12:36:23 +1300
Hi Zuiks,

In reading quite a few posts about the future of analog and digital, and
Kodachrome,  I feel a little depressed.

With Kodachrome, I suspect that Kodak don't quite know what to do with
their flagship product, one that made a huge name for them; the sole survivor
of this particular kind of fine-grained and durable chemistry.

If they kill it off all at once, they'll get a really bad press.  So it seems
they
are giving it the slow death of a thousand cuts, hoping nobody notices. Who
knows what the future holds for it. I think that depends to a large extent in
how consumers behave.

If they all lie down and play dead, then that will suit the bean-counters who
are probably driving this slow death. So don't lie down and play dead.

And it seems that ASA 64 film for 35mm is the core of what is most valued.

So - for me. I have no intention of going digital. I've just entered the area
of
MF anyway, so I have no $$ left for digital adventures..

I'm going to go hell-for-leather in conventional photography, using
Kodachrome when I can, and enjoy it to the MAX.

And after this month, the photo lab I use will have new software so that the
Agfa machine will produce prints from slides at the same cost as from
negative film.

So, for a while I'll have the best of both worlds - archival transparencies as
colour originals, and excellent prints to tout around if I want to.

And I'll publicise it.

I must stock up on ASA 25 while it's still available.

Brian

Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!