Re: [OM] Digital camera downfalls

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital camera downfalls
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 00:14:51 +1100
Not quite.

DRAM requires refreshing every microsecond or so. The data is actually
stored on a small capacitor. It loses its charge so a refresh cycle is used
to top up (if a 1) or not (if a 0) every microsecond. It is cheap, but
requires extra circuitry.

SRAM is bassically a whole heap of D type flip flops in a chip. Does not
need refreshing.

Both need power.

Rom is made at the factory with a programme.

Prom is user programmable - once.

Eprom is erasable basically by UV light.

Eeprom is erasable by electric charge. This is what stores settings as all
these do not need power. Flash prom is an Eeprom that can be programmed
externally by a serial port (or similar) instead of changing chips.

Foxy