[OM] CompactFLASH != RAM....

Subject: [OM] CompactFLASH != RAM....
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 00:27:32 -0800
I hate to beat a dead horse, but compact flash is... flash! flash eeprom, its major difference from regular eeprom is that flash eeprom are programmed a page at a time, whereas eeprom usually are byte programmable and erasable. NV-SRAM still needs a power source to make a NV....

I write embedded compilers, and most of our targets are FLASH microcontrollers.

Compact Flash and SmartMedia use NV-SRAM which is Non-Volatile meaning once
written it remains in a readable state without needing electrical
refreshment like regular DRAM and therefore no power needed. NVSRAM can be
'erased' by being overwritten, I think the erasure of CF and SM cards is
done similarly to erasing files from a hard drive; the file directory is
changed to show 'space available' then the data in the cells is overwritten.

// richard http://www.imagecraft.com
[ For technical support, please include all previous replies in your msgs. ]