Re: [OM] Digital camera downfalls

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital camera downfalls
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 08:58:56 -0500
Winsor said:
If the heightened security for travel continues, digital may end up
being the default for travelers because it is not damaged by Xrays.
Hmmm.  Do we actually know this to be true for current and future
(presumably more powerful) xray scanners?  If you throw enough alpha
particles at a DRAM (which is volatile memory) you can change its
state.  I don't know anything about the technologies used in our static
memories like Compact Flash and Smart Media.  Are these also susceptible
to having their data bits knocked about with enough radiation?

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA