Re: [OM] Champagne OM-4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] Champagne OM-4Ti
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:59:06 -0800
on 11/23/01 1:29 AM, Roger D. Key at rdk@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> One of my champagne 4Ti's has lost a considerable amount of paint around
> the right end; I think that it was used with a winder/ MD perhaps by a pro.
> I have wondered whether bare titanium can give an allergic reaction? I have
> had no problems up to now. I think that the bare titanium actually looks
> better than the 'paint'.
>
> Roger Key

Bare titanium probably won't give an allergic reaction, its actually the
metal used then they put in artificial knees and 'bones' for medical
repairs. In addition, titanium has a very good 'skin feel' which is why many
high-end watches (if not gold) are made of the metal. Further, the bare
metal doesn't oxidize or corrode easily, so high-end sailing fittings and
bicycle parts are made from it for its combination of light weight and good
corrosion resistance.

In fact, Olympus probably could have just put a nice satin finish on the
bare metal and painted on the letters and left it at that, and had a camera
that would look good for far longer than the black or champagne painted
finish does. Of my two champagne 4T's, both have some paint loss although
one is very minimal. Almost every one I've seen shows 'titaniuming' around
the strap lugs and creases of the prism housing.
--

Jim Brokaw