[OM] Leonids

Subject: [OM] Leonids
From: "Chris O'Neill" <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 13:28:34 -0700
Cori and I found a quiet little spot probably just east of where Garth was
standing (sitting?), and enjoyed the display.  (Sorry we didn't join you,
Garth, but Cori didn't relish the walk, so we just pulled into a field
approach.)

We saw quite a few meteors, although nowhere near the amount
predicted.  My guess would be that there were 4 or 5 a minute, max.  I
was surprised that they weren't more focused.  In hindsight,  all my
fussing 'bout "which way to look?" was silly...  the sky was  peppered
from just about all directions, at one point or another.

I took a 24-roll of Kodak Gold 400 using the OM-4, alternating with the
50/1.4, 28/2.8 and 24/2.8 lenses.  Exposure times were in the 2 to 10
minute range.  Of course, the best displays seemed to always be in the
opposite direction the camera was facing.  :-)

It'll be interesting to see if any of the shots turn out, but even if they
don't it was fun, and we enjoyed watching the show.  Bloody cold,
though, eh Garth?  Thank goodness we took a thermos of hot chocolate
with kaluah to keep us warm.

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  I can relate to the several comments about mucking around in the
dark with camera gear.  As we got started shooting, I experienced the
dreaded "focusing screen disengagement" problem on the OM-4.
Scared the crap out of me until I figured out the problem and got the
focusing screen back in.  VERY scary stuff, that one!