Re: [OM] Leonids

Subject: Re: [OM] Leonids
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:03:02 -0500
At 7:36 AM -0500 11/18/01, James M Costello wrote:

The Leonids didn't seem that great here is SW Florida.   Even at the
calculated peak (4:55 a.m. EST), they were sporadic and only a small
fraction of the 2,000 per half-hour predicted.   Light pollution is a big
problem here.  How was the display where you'all were?

Show was OK but not super-spectacular up here in vermont. Skies
were clear with a little bit of glow, rates at most in the hundreds
per hour. I'll see whether I got anything -- I just put the camera on
auto and cranked the effective ASA/compensation all to hell. (And yes,
when there was a meteor trail the exposure ended earlier than it otherwise
would have.)

Did anybody get any nice digital shots?

Batteries wouldn't hold a charge. 14 frames of noise and star bits. I
thought it was the cold, but no, the set that happened to be up was the
original one that came with the camera, and after a couple years I think
they're done...

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx