Re: [OM] Leonids

Subject: Re: [OM] Leonids
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:06:06 -0600
James M Costello wrote:

> The Leonids didn't seem that great here is SW Florida.   Even at the
> calculated peak (4:55 a.m. EST), they were sporadic and only a small
> fraction of the 2,000 per half-hour predicted.   Light pollution is a big
> problem here.  How was the display where you'all were?
>
> Did anybody get any nice digital shots?
>
> Jamie Costello

I went out at 0300CST.  A bit cloudy and some ground fog and light
pollution.  Still could see occassional trails and some bright meteors
with some lighting up the cluds like lightning bolts.  About 0415 the
sky cleared a bit and then we could see better.  At one point we could
see at least a meteor a second, and we didn't have the whole sky to
watch!  Not a storm but a magnificent display none the less.  No photos,
too much fog and dew.

Jerry Liles