Re: [OM] Leonids

Subject: Re: [OM] Leonids
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:05:11 -0500
Thirty miles nne of Charlotte the sky was quite dark. I saw ~ 15 per minute through the clearing that my house sits in. I was surprised they didn't radiate more from a central point. Often they were out near the edges of my viewing area, and several of the best and brightest went against the usual flow. Two in particular were five or six times the usual width and intensely bright, leaving a "smoke-like" puff that lasted for over a minute. One was right where my camera was pointed. Now the wait ...... :-)

Gregg

I had a problem here trying to balance light pollution and film speed.
Since I don't have anything wider than 50mm for the OM-10 and don't have the
electronic cable release for the MZ-S, I used my Spotmatic with a Takumar
28/3.5 lens.  I was loaded with Agfa Vista 100 and bracketed at each
aperture for 1 minute.  With the city of Charlotte 15 miles East and
Gastonia 5 miles West, plus all the  neighbors who had left their
porchlights on over night I'm afraid I won't get much.  With the 100 film, I
may have reduced the light pollution but lost the meteors, while with 400 I
would probably have lost the meteors and gotten the light pollution.  Guess
I'll find out Tuesday when I process the film.

Bill, KG4LOV