Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: Don <dong357@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 21:32:56 -0600
I must agree! If an operating system does what you want it to do, why upgrade just because someone comes out with a new version? Every time Microsoft comes out with a new operating system, it needs more memory and higher processing speed. What do you get for all of that and the privilege of paying good money for it!

Don Gaikins

Thanks, but no thinks to XE Mr. Gates!

At 06:22 PM 11/3/01, Volkhart Baumgaertner wrote:
Yo,

on Sat, 3 Nov 2001 23:42:29 +0100, Hans van Veluwen wrote:

>Same experience I had when I upgraded from Win98 SE (which died on me when I
>tried to install Office 2000 on it) to Win2000. Just about every piece of
>hardware was identified and installed properly. Win98 allways gave me hard
>times by letting me manually install and configure the graphic adapter, SCSI
>card, printer, ....

Well, my experience with Win2000 is a little different. I tried it out on my
notebook which was due for a new clean install anyway. It doesn't have
drivers for my PC Card modem, and I could not find any on The Net. Mind you,
this is nothing exotic - a 3Com/U.S. Robotics WinModem and a mere 3 years
old. While I would have considered getting another modem and did upgrade my
Virtual CD software to version 3 to make Win2000 cooperate with it, 2k
finally disqualified itself by not running my main dictionary program. This
is a 16-bit application named "Languages of the world" for which there is no
32-bit upgrade available - at least I can't find one, though I've tried real
hard. I need this program for my work, and an operating system that doesn't
run it is simply unusable for me. So I'm back to Win98 SE. I wonder whether
XP is more backward-compatible than 2000. Anyway, I don't like the way they
_force_ you to register your copy of XP; I think when I buy a piece of
software it is _my_ decision whether I want the manufacturer to have my
personal data or not, and this bothers me enough to keep me from even trying
an upgrade to XP.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--