Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: Acer/Siddiq <waltherppk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 21:05:51 -0800
11/3/01 8:53:49 PM, Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>I've got a 550 mh PC w/128 mb of RAM.  I know I'll have to buy more.  I've
>>never installed RAM and don't even know what kind I must
have.  Guess I'll buy it from Gateway (my PC manufacturer) and let them walk me
through it.  While I'm at it, I might as well pack it to the max.

>RAM's the cheapest upgrade you can get that dramatically improves the
>performance of a computer, regardless of whether it's Intel or
Motorola core.  Typical RAM is at least 1,000 times faster than the fastest
EIDE or SCSI hard drive, and when you're doing a few million paging
operations, that counts.

>BTW, anyone can install RAM.  My brother (who may be the most non-technical
>person in existence) actually did it without any problems.  If he
can do it, anyone can.  Going through Gateway's probably a good idea, although
you could probably just take your motherboard's manual into
any competent shop and they'd find the type of RAM you require specified in the
manual.

http://www.crucial.com

no need for YOU to figure out what kind you need, select your system, it does
it for you. AFAIK it'll be PC100 type, should cost about 40 bucks
for a 256dimm.

/A/S
--
dum spiro, spero