Re: [OM] Lens sharpness

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens sharpness
From: ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 15:49:58 -0500
In <001501c15f89$3d1eee00$0a00a8c0@y2khai>, on 10/28/01 at 01:18 AM,
   "Olympus" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>Anybody else feel the same way?  As much as I love my Zuiko's, I have
>to think that 20 years of lens technology is going to beat out the
>Zuiko's I have..

At the risk of starting a war, I would say: not as much as you'd think.
Unless you regularly and systematically use a tripod, lens hood, cable
release or mirror up/timed release, glass negative carrier and apo
enlarging  lenses, you are *NOT* going to see significant differences
between *any*  of your 30-year-old Zuiko lenses and anything else that
is, or will be,  available for the 35 mm market.

In fact, if you ordinarily confine yourself to 4 x 6 or even 8 x 10
prints, the  Zuiko's are probably overkill. Anyone who has gone through
the  exercise of trying to guess from the result -- the picture, either
on paper  or on screen -- which photograph was made with [insert
whatever you  please for make] and a Zuiko on an OM-x[x], will have to
concur. I would  say that most of the discussions I hear on the photo
newsgroups, or hear  at concours of photographic enthusiasts, can be
considered based on clever  marketing by the photo companies. Take away
the fakery, insist on results,  and things become as clear as they are
in, say, scientific environments,  when results count and marketing has
little sway [I didn't say "none," just  "little" <grin>].