Re: [OM] Lens sharpness

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens sharpness
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:32:15 +1100
SNIP
>As for your final comment about the Tokina and 28mm. I
>must tell you that the Tokina and Tamron 90mm lenses,
>altohugh great performers, are bulky, heavy, and in my
>humble opinion, unbalancing. I had a 90mm Taron and
>the pics I took handheld were crap while the pics I
>took with a tripod or support were brilliant. Its just
>something about that lens that gave my hand cramps
>where I could handhold even my Zuiko 300/4.5 and still
>get nice pics.
>Mark Lloyd

I'm just learning my Tamron 90mm and I partly agree. Bulky but not that
heavy. Hard to get close hand held and nightmare shallow DOF for macro but
sharp on a pod and portraits hand-held seem fine.
I've owned all three 28mm's - it's a length I like. The old 3.5 is quite
sharp stopped down and sooooo compact. The 2.8 I had was sharp and had good
colour rendition, despite the scratch on the front element (shoulda kept
that one, scratches are much overated as a lens degrader, I'm beginning to
think) and the f2 is great.
As to all those high priced lenses (Leica, Contax, etc.) - it's not always
to do with sharpness - often more to do with an indefineable 'character'
such as the sharp/soft fluidity of Leitz or the much discussed bokeh (which
seems OK on the Tamron 90).
AndrewF