Re: [OM] Lens sharpness

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens sharpness
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 11:40:44 EST
In a message dated 10/28/01 12:21:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I really love my OM-1n, but I see
>  that it's the lenses that really count when it's all said and done.  That
>  worries me since the OM line is all but dead...

and

>There is no new improvements
>on the Zuiko lenses, and so I'm scared that the quality of the new lenses
>from the likes of Nikon etc.. will all but force me to move there...

Albert, I'm willing to wager that another 20 years from now, when my eyes are
totally shot and I've had to reluctantly pass my beloved Zuikos on to the
nephews and nieces, folks will still be using the OM system and raving about
the great Zuiko optics made back in the last century.

There are many examples of 30, 40 year old cameras and lenses still
performing good duty.  The parts pool for repairs/replacements will shrink
some, but there are plenty of parts in the pool at the moment with a few
exceptions (winder bay covers come to mind).

My hope is that laser surgery or something will enable me to keep right on
taking sharper photos than anyone else in the family with my "old" camera
gear.

Now is not the time to wring your hands and worry about the "death" of the OM
system.  Now is the time to use that system in its golden age.  Look at the
offerings at KEH, B & H, and Evilbay, not to mention camera shops, pawn
shops, yard sales, estate sales, etc..  Most of the bodies and lenses are
still WIDELY available (with a few exceptions, that are a little more scarce,
and probably always were).

If you can really SEE the difference in the results from the newer lenses
from the likes of Nikon, etc., and can afford them, and think you need that
improvement, then maybe you will want to swallow hard and make the move to
another system.  But it's still true that 99.90f the time, it's the
photographer BEHIND the lens that makes a great photograph.

Even if I COULD afford a fancy new autofocus, image-stabilizing, bells &
whistles wonderbrick, I'd still keep the OM gear.  Small size, light weight,
great for travel, hiking, etc., etc..  OM = Classic.

Rich