Re: [OM] [OT] Sensia II vs. Provia. Was: Kodachrome vs Provia

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Sensia II vs. Provia. Was: Kodachrome vs Provia
From: "Bernd Moeller" <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:21:25 +0200
Dear Oly-list,

After a week with little contribution from my side, I'll promise to be more
active again. I was rather busy and could not afford to use 1 hour daily on
this newsgroup. Also the OT discussions and flamewars kept me from posting.

Andrew wrote re. comparative analysis on slide films:

> I'd have to agree here, while I don't tend to take many portraits, I really
> like the tone of Sensia II. I'd almost rate it a "poor man's Provia". As far
> as the cheaper "amateur" films, this is a real keeper (and a great bargain
> compared to what Provia sets me back locally).

I'd agree, too. I've shot Sensia II as well as Provia, both 100 ASA. There is
virtually no difference to see. Tests carried out by german Fotomagazin (oct.
2001, page 38ff) show that Sensia is a little sharper with 140Lp/mm compared to
Provia with 135LP/mm. This difference is neglectable. Velvia gives 160 Lp/mm.
The same test also says that Provia is the better allrond film, with better
push-capabilities and better "exposure stability" (don't know what they mean
with this. Provia has "normal" contrast, whereas Sensia II's contrast is
"normal to soft".

> I haven't had a chance to
> compare shots side by side with Provia (meaning to do that, I've got some
> rolls back from both recently, will have to do a comparison. I'm sure that
> Provia has a finer grain and is probably sharper, but Sensia still looks
> good. I will say that it's not the film to be using in gloomy weather unless
> you want muted colours. In the sunlight, with a polarizer it's great though.
> I did take some slides in the rain with Sensia and they worked out pretty
> good but it was midday when I took the shots so the light was still pretty
> bright.

I experienced that Provia slides taken in grey wether tend to be rather soft.
Provia might give you the extra contrast in these situations.

I shot some 14 rolls of Kodak Elitechrome 200 in Greenland last year. It didn't
cope too well on rainy days. I did not need the extra stop film speed either.
Next year I'll take either Sensia 100 or Provia 100, depending on my budget.
Sensia also might forgive the 4 weeks in my backpack under uncontrolled
temperature conditions. Provia, as all pro-films, should be developed as soon
as possible after exposure.

Best regards

Bernd