Re: [OM] [OT] Sensia II vs. Provia. Was: Kodachrome vs Provia

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Sensia II vs. Provia. Was: Kodachrome vs Provia
From: "Bernd Moeller" <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 20:06:55 +0200
Hej Thomas,

Very interesting information indeed.

> Resolution has never been touted as the forte of Provia F100, it's the lack
> of grain.

But isn't there a connection between grain and resolution? What do both
parameters mean for the average photographer or for projecting slides?

> I would also like to add that the numbers cited for resolution is pure BS
> (not from the list members, from the testers): They measure resolution with
> a contrast range of 1000:1, that's about 10 stops. How many of you are
> shooting under those conditions?!? On rare occasions you can have small
> back lighted objects (like grass straws against a very bright sky), but you
> should really look at the second number in the tests, the resolution with
> contrast 1.6:1, or about 2/3 of a stop. That should be a much more
> realistic and sobering value for normal shooting.

Well - normal shooting is not the challenge. It becomes interesting when
shooting in these high contrat situations, I think.

> As to the topic, Sensia II vs. Provia, the earlier Sensia was the amateur
> version of Provia (not F). Later came Sensia II, the amateur version of
> Astia. The name has now changed back to Sensia, but the emulsion code is
> still RA, amateur Astia. I use this film almost exclusively, with some
> rolls of Velvia for special occasions (read dull and grey light). I really
> like the soft contrast for landscape, and it's also great for night photos
> where contrast easily gets out of control.

Same experience here.

> My personal "rule" is to expect detail in 6 stops for Sensia, 5.5 stops for
> Provia F100, but only 5 stops for Velvia. Unfortunately, Velvia is also
> much more saturated than the other two, otherwise these three films
> would've made a great "zone system lite". (Tris, you needed an excuse to
> have more bodies, didn't you?)

Aaah - wha a bummer. I want to prevent taking two or more bodies with me to
Greenland next time. Carrying 20+ kg of backpack for 4 weeks is so back
weakening!

> A norwegian photo magazin ran an article about pushing and pulling slide
> films a few weeks ago, and it seemed Velvia could be pulled at least 2/3 of
> a stop, resulting in much lower contrast, but I suspect that grain would be
> objectionable if you tried to increase contrast in Sensia to Velvia-level
> by pushing.
> Too bad, 'cause I certainly can't afford shooting Velvia as my standard
> film and then pay for push processing, and I don't like the saturation for
> normal shooting either.

No, I agree. As regards budget, when spending lots of money for travel tickets,
I'd rather add some bucks for the better film.

Regards

Bernd Möller