Re: [OM] [OT] Kodachrome vs Provia Was: This Idiot's Back, Kodachrome, a

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Kodachrome vs Provia Was: This Idiot's Back, Kodachrome, and Digital Olys
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 21:33:24 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Jim Couch wrote:

> What, specifically, do you prefer about the Profia F? How is it better? I have
> not tried the Profia F, but the colors on the Fuji films I have tried seemed
> rather garish to me.

I find Provia 100F isn't as contrasty as K64, especially when used indoors
with a flash.  I also find it has a much warmer look while still maintaining
colour accuracy.  Provia 100F is completely different from all the other
Fuji films I've tried.  It doesn't have that over saturated, high contrast
look that films such as Reala give you.  It's the first Fuji film I like :-)

>               I was also disappointed in the acuity or sharpness of the
> films I tried. I really have not tried a lot of films the last couple of
> years, I suppose I should do some experimentation.

The grain on Provia 100F is very fine, about as fine as K64.  Fuji also
claims the archival properties of Provia 100F is much better than the
previous generation E6 films.

> It does sound like your K64 problems are processing related. I have not had
> any problems myself. I suspect that quality control must be better at the
> particular lab mine go to.

That's also what I suspect, but I can't be certain.  I live in Canada and
as far as I know Kodak no longer has any K14 processing labs here.  All film
from the eastern side of the country is sent to the New Jersey plant for
processing.  That could also add to the quality control problems I've
experienced.
                                -mark