[OM] Back!

Subject: [OM] Back!
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 12:37:47 -0300
Well I'm back from my trip to Europe and am back on the list.

For those interested, I spent 3 nights in Haarlem (just outside of
Amsterdam), where I did almost nothing (jet lag bad). I then went to Ghent
and spent 6 nights there and made day trips to Brussels, Bruges, and Liege.
Didn't get to Luxembourg. Then I went back to Amsterdam for a day before my
flight.

The trip was great but being up for 37 hours on the way over and 41 hours on
the way back really sucks.

The OM-system was great, it's the first time I've been able to use my kit
for travelling and everything worked great. I picked up a Lowepro S&F Rover
Light and an S&F Utility bag before I left. This was a great setup for me. I
didn't think I'd like using a backpack for my gear that much but this was a
really great system. I would usually keep most of my lenses and my 2 bodies
in the backpack and I had another lens and film in the utility bag, which I
attached to the waist belt. For really light travel (like in Amsterdam), I
could put a body with lens attached plus 2 extra lenses and some film into
the utility bag and then just carry it using the shoulder strap.

I definitely found a difference in my shooting style compared to the Canon
that I've used before with travelling. First, I shot much more film; 8
complete rolls, plus I'm about halfway through another roll that's still in
the camera. Compared to the 5 rolls I went through in 4 months in Russia or
the 3 rolls I went through in 2 weeks in Scandinavia.

The kit I took with me was

2 OM-1ns
21/3.5
24/2.8
28/2.8
35/2.0
50/1.8
85/2.0
135/3.5

Most of the time, I used the 50 and the 135, with the 85 probably close
behind that. But the wides are so easy to carry that I didn't mind the extra
weight and they did see some use.

I haven't gotten my film processed yet (just got back Monday and the sleep
problems I mentioned above have somewhat limited my activities). Will post
pics once I get them back and scan them.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx