Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings
From: Bernd Möller <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 17:31:11 +0200
Hi Jim,

> You are welcome Bernd, and add a good point that I have missed. It is
> probably worth noting, that on a professional level, (as far as I can tell)
> digital photography is not being used for much beyond  news, web, and some
> commercial and portrait photography.

Yes, I do agree here.

> Photography as fine art is still dominated by film as is much of the
> commercial and
> portrait end of things. I for one don't see that digital is truly 'the wave
> of the future' at all.

I have to think sometimes that the fine art area will be dominated by digital
cameras as well, like Daguerrotypes came out of fashion after the development
of the negative process. That also took some decades, but I think progress is
inevitable. At least it leads to a larger variety of arts. Also after the
development of other painting techniques, oil paint is still having a share in
the fine arts, although a small one.

>Use of digital will certainly increase, but I don't believe that film is going
>away any time soon. I think that the use of the 'digital darkroom' will
>greatly increase as scanners become less expensive and easier to use. I think
>in the near future
> many of us will not have our films printed. We will have the film processed
> and will scan them and print ourselves. It appears that many are doing that
> already.

I do so already, yes. Scanning a slide, adjusting it in the digital darkroom at
get it printed lets me produce decent enlargements from a slide film at a much
lower price than at a good lab with handmade prints.

> Personally I have yet to get a scanner, but that will probably be my next
> major photography purchase. The combination of shooting slides and scanning
> makes a lot of sense to me. I have been shooting slides for decades, and the
> possibility of scanning and producing inexpensive prints is very appealing.

Yes, but for scanning slides you need a really good scanner. My Acer ScanWit
2720s (one year old) has its flaws when it comes to Dmax, but on the other side
it has already paid back with scanning negatives of concert photos. There must
have been a hundred films (both slide and neg) or so passed through that
machine since I bought it.

Regards

Bernd