Re: [OM] Another Shot

Subject: Re: [OM] Another Shot
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 15:22:45 -0700
Lots of good stuff at The Luminous Landscape. I'll want to go back there--just spent a full hour as it is.

Couple of observations. First, there's a lot of emphasis placed on digital photography itself and digital manipulation of images after the fact. I don't condemn this outright, but really, that isn't photography per se. It's parlor tricks with years ahead styling as far as I'm concerned. Second observation: these people seem to be committed to Canon and in an almost religious way when it comes to both the 35mm and digital mediums. Nothing wrong with that, and yet I found it somewhat unsettling in a way I can't quite explain. There is no doubt here that the photographers in question have knowledge based on experience, and uncommon ability. Still, I have never understood why someone with a serious bent for 35mm photography who was not into Olympus used anything other than the Leica or Nikon systems. I've observed Canon for thirty years and maybe more and if that brand isn't a clear step below the other three systems in just about any manner or form you'd care to mention then I'm a monkey's uncle. None of which is meant to denigrate the content of the site in question, but it does cause me to scratch my head and wonder.

Thanks again for the resource.

Tris

Another shot fired in the digital/film wars:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/iso100-400.htm
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California