Re: [OM] Re: Digital (and film) Musings WAS: Digital Musings

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital (and film) Musings WAS: Digital Musings
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:10:27 +0100
Jim Couch wrote:

> As for the grain issue, I would disagree with that on two levels. The first
> is that
> there is more to life than fine grain, sharpness and acuity are equally, and
> maybe
> even more important and most people give slide films an edge here. As for
> actual
> grain itself, I am not sure that print films have less grain than slide
> films, the
> best of both are excellent. It does seem that at very high speeds the grain
> is less
> objectionable in print films

I'd definitely agree with this, and not even at very high speeds.  400
speed slide film seems to me to have really chunky grain, far far worse
than 400 speed print film.  A pro once gave me what seems like a
reasonable explanation - print film is vastly more popular than slide
film, and the most popular speed is 400, so 400 speed print film has
seen much more R&D than 400 speed slide film.

Roger