Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 08:22:30 -0700
You are welcome Bernd, and add a good point that I have missed. It is probably
worth noting, that on a professional level, (as far as I can tell) digital
photography is not being used for much beyond  news, web, and some commercial
and portrait photography. Photography as fine art is still dominated by film as
is much of the commercial and
portrait end of things. I for one don't see that digital is truly 'the wave of
the future' at all. Use of digital will certainly increase, but I don't believe
that film is going away any time soon. I think that the use of the 'digital
darkroom' will greatly increase as scanners become less expensive and easier to
use. I think in the near future
many of us will not have our films printed. We will have the film processed and
will scan them and print ourselves. It appears that many are doing that already.

Personally I have yet to get a scanner, but that will probably be my next major
photography purchase. The combination of shooting slides and scanning makes a
lot of sense to me. I have been shooting slides for decades, and the
possibility of scanning and producing inexpensive prints is very appealing.

Jim Couch