Re: [OM] Your opinion on 35-70's

Subject: Re: [OM] Your opinion on 35-70's
From: Bernd Möller <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:00:40 +0200
Hi Roger,

"Obviously if you care about the quality of your images, primes are the way to
go and forget how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. "

Right. Whenever quality matters and weight/comfort does not, I carry 4 to 5
primes with me together with an extra body, a set of batteries, lens cleaning
tissue and a tripod.

But when I do some occasional shooting, e.g. on a bicycle trip, I do not want
to come along with a bulk of equipment. Then compactness matters. And my
posting was about how much compactness to sacrifice, compared to gain in image
quality, when taking the 3,6 or a competitive zoom lens.

"Also, you may find
that a check of your eyesight, focusing zooms at highest resolution, stopping
down to f11, etc., may all give more satisfactory results. Or, leave all
images on contact sheets and present your contact sheets in a very "chic"
manner. "

Eyesight affects the use of any non AF camera. I have my eyes checked regularly
and at the age of 32 you do not think about this ;-)

Stopping down is not always possible if not carrying a tripod. Hence my search
for a "better" performer.

Sorry, but I can't use your comment on the contact sheets in a productive
manner.

Best regards

Bernd