Re: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)

Subject: Re: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 19:40:53 -0500
From: "johnsonpa"
Joel, I received an email from the volunteer coordinator in Kentucky chapter
of TNC detailing the job.  They were looking for people to get rid of the
rats, but they gave me this other job instead. There will only be 16 people
on the island.

PJ,
I'll have to become more active in TNC. They own two areas on Molokai, Hawaii (our "other" home).

I've also heard a lot of talk about taking a 1 or 1n just in case the
batteries fail or the 4T can't take the humidity. Nobody mentioned taking a
light meter.

I was thinking of the one in the OM-1. <g>

Here is another question: Joel said to take split density filters.  I can't
say that I have much experience with filters.  I'm assuming he means that I
should use the Cokin 'P' filter or the Lee 4x4 filter holder.

I use the Cokin A size actually. Adapters go up to 62mm, so they are a nice size. They are cheap, but I really don't notice a problem with quality. You have to take some care to keep from scratching them, but as I say, they are cheap.

I do think they might be a little easier to use with an OM-2S or OM-4. In virtually every instance in which I have used them I have been trying to bring up the foreground while keeping the sky from over-exposing. On land, just going with the averaging meter usually results in underexposure of about one stop. I feel I get nearer a better first shot using the spot meter, especially if that part of the shot is in the foreground where I want to bring up detail. I find it very hard to meter and then slide the filters into the adapter and shoot because the conditions are usually fast-changing so that you really want to stay with the composition, so to speak. The spot meter and memo feature of the OM-4 is a great feature, but the OM-2S is also easy to use in manual mode.

My only experience comparable to what you'll enjoy has been in Hawaii, and I don't really use the split/grad ND filters there very much, though I could maybe use them more than I do. The presence of sea all around is a great evener of light. It can kind of be an ego trip, which is why I think the OM-1 meter will be more than adequate. However, I wouldn't mess with split/grad ND filters unless you'll have time to get comfortable with them before you go.

Joel W.